Five-Hour Phone Conversations

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Just Another Brick in the Wall

Every morning I walk up 34th St. past Macy's and Foot Locker and Sbarro's, Dunkin' Dounts, Payless. And most of these mornings I pass the same homeless guy, sitting on a random stone step in some random doorway. Most days he has a sign; on those days when he doesn't, his dog Abigal joins him, sitting on a ratty blanket, looking so sad. Again, he's homeless, and the dog is only with him somedays. I used to think this dog was a stray, but then one morning I suddenly felt so guilty from racing past all the other mornings, that I stopped and gave the guy my breakfast. We ended up chatting, and I found out he's married with five kids; that the dog comes with him on the days it doesn't stay with his wife. That he has cancer and a broken arm, but won't take the medication because Social Security is giving him too much of a hassle. I did feel sorry for him, especially when he would suddenly yelp in pain and grab his arm or side. But, what is he was faking? Just the other day, I saw him talking to a man, and none of this was happening. Was it just a sob story? I mean, there are free clinics in the city where he could go for medical attention. Now, I feel awkward stopping again. Perhaps I'll just drop in a few dollars, and continue on my way. I can't solve all the problems in the world.

2 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Very impressive and poetic...
I think I might have passed that homeless guy while walking to your office...

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Tom said...

It's to your credit that you took the time to get to know the guy. I know that in the year I spent commuting to Columbia University, I grew pretty hardened to the people of the street. Maybe he was faking... and maybe not, but you showed human decency, and that's better than most people do in NYC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home